Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Week 13: Reconsidering the Superhero

Hellboy by Mike Mignola
This week I read a smattering of Hellboy comics by Mike Mignola. Hellboy is absolutely my favorite superhero who isn't a superhero. In particular, The Chained Coffin and Other Stories does a really good job of showing that Hellboy isn't necessarily a typical superhero - he's just doing his job.
Mignola treats Hellboy and his antics with a huge dash of humor, often giving Hellboy something funny to say in the heat of the moment, something very typical of a superhero who has a sassy side - Spiderman immediately comes to mind.
All in all, typical superhero comics don't really interest me anymore. I don't need to see Batman's origin story for the 40th time, I don't need to see Gwen Stacy die AGAIN, and I really am not down to watch Superman show down with Lex Luthor for the 8 millionth time. Stories that give me variety and bring something new to the table is what I'm looking for when I look at superheroes now.
Hellboy is a great superhero because he's kind of not a superhero, get me?

No comments:

Post a Comment