Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Week 9: A Wide World of Comics

Moebius
For this post I read a bit of volume 1 of Incal, and Heavy Metal, both illustrated by Moebius.
I greatly enjoyed the Heavy Metal stories more than I enjoyed Incal, art and story wise. I didn't find the story or art in Incal appealing, which is rare for me when it concerns Moebius. Heavy Metal, on the other hand, was enjoyable with a diverse amount of stories that all had interesting plotlines. Incal's coloring style kind of ruined Moebius's linework, while the way it was colored in Heavy Metal really allowed it to shine on it's own.
My favorite story from Heavy Metal is a tie between the first two, where two young people decide to travel together to explore the world, before getting shot down by war hungry humans. The second story is a futuristic style short about a delivery boy who is disgusted upon witnessing the gods of the world mercilessly play with the life of a champion.
All in all, European comics have more substance than american mainstream comics, as their comics market isn't entirely dominated by superheroes likeAmerica's comic market unfortunately is.


No comments:

Post a Comment